Monday, December 17, 2007

New series on FOH service- You guys ready to order?

We are beginning a series on waiter service. The reason to write a series about this, is a result of what I see as small but powerful missteps from FOH staff that can be easily remedied with approaches and understandings.

I had been a professional waiter in many places. I was lucky enough to have been hired by the Hyatt Regency in 1980 to work in the Esplanade restaurant as a waiter in fine dining. Beyond that period I worked in a variety of upscale restaurants during and after hospitality school.

I am just going to jump in with my first topic:

Topic 1) Customers are not "guys."

Unless you work in a wings place, pizza or sub shop it is totally unacceptable to call a table of customers guys unless their are no females present (and I am not even sure you should call customers guys in these instances either, even folks, y'all or you all is more appropriate.).

Case in point; I have gone out more than once to upscale restaurants with my wife where the check average is clearly more than $15-25 per person and we are often asked , "are you guys" ready to order, etc.

Some reasons that is un-acceptable for wait staff to ever address customers as "guys". Some simple thoughts for a wait person to know:

1) If there was ever a romantic thought going on at that table, you just killed it.
2) Some people, however stuffy you as a server may think they are, are customers that have a paying privilege to be addressed accordingly. As the check average rises so should the formality.
3) Just like you as a server cares which side to place the silverware on, so goes this etiquette.
4) Customers are not your friends and family. Even if it's a family style/casual restaurant stick to the formalities. I always prefer to hear and be called either sir, ma'am or ladies and gentlemen.

No comments: